perry

perry
my little allergic peanut

Monday, April 1, 2013

The Siblings

Siblings of children with food allergies are thoughtful and hilarious. Fact. 

I think Eamon is a little more protective of Perry than I am and it's hilarious. The world of food allergies is pretty serious and unless your passing food challenges and graduating from OIT, there are not too many reasons to laugh. Here are a few chuckles and awww's courtesy of my number 2, Eamon.

Eamon is allergic to ticks (no, he's not), but he will tell you he is! He tells everyone. Just today at Target he tells the cashier, "My brother, Perr, is allergic to peanuts and cashews and peanut butter and Jiffy and Nutella and I'm allergic to ticks!" The cashier looks at me with an eyebrow raised. I reply, "Yep! Ticks! Can you believe it?!?" Because when you're older brother is getting attention, regardless of the nature of that attention, you need it too. Why ticks? I have no clue. Last summer, we told them not to go in the really long grass on the back of our property because it could have these "bad for baby bugs, called ticks" in it and I think it really got to him. It's even cuter because he will not go in the grass now...he's allergic.

Eamon loves Star Wars. He loves Batman. He loves anyone with a super power, light saber, "blaster" or cool car. One day the kids were playing and Perry was like, "Oh no! How are we going to defeat Darth Maul?" Eamon replied with conviction, "Darth Maul is allergic to paper. We can wear paper hats and he won't get us!" Because Food Allergies are super powers.
*I did make sure he knew never to give anyone anything they were allergic to because of the consequences of doing so*

Eamon loves peanuts. They are his favorite. He will scream, "Mommy! Peanuts! My favorite..." any time he sees the word Reese's at the store. I don't believe they are his favorite (and he's only had them a hand full of times), but because Perry can't have them, Eamon loves them. It's just what little brothers do.

On Perry's first day of kindergarten, Eamon wants to have a "Peanut Day!" A day where we eat any and all things peanut...you know...since Perry won't be around. He's very excited because peanuts are his favorite (see above). I'm going along with this one because his little world is going to be turned upside down when his big brother goes to school. 

Halloween is hard for kids with food allergies (and their parents), but it is also really difficult for siblings. On Halloween night, we always let Eamon have one of his candies that contains peanuts. Last year, we told him "If you eat something with peanuts, you have to immediately go the bathroom and we will wash your hands and your face. You won't be able to kiss Perry goodnight and cuddle with him tonight." Eamon thought for a minute and said, "I don't want peanuts. I don't want to hurt Perry." and he ran over and gave him a hug and a kiss. 

If you're anywhere in the grocery store when we're shopping, you'll probably hear, "Don't touch that, Perr! It has peanuts! Mom, Perry can't touch that, right?" 

Oh, the cutie. He really is cute. See?



Well, we've got Perry's cashew nut challenge on Thursday and his peanut challenge (did I tell you guys?) on the 18th! I've got my fingers crossed and my epi-pens packed. Hope you all had an allergic reaction-free Easter!
<3 the mom

No comments:

Post a Comment