perry

perry
my little allergic peanut

Thursday, April 4, 2013

"You're going to eat cashews, and you're going to love them!"

That's exactly what Perry told his body this morning as he gave himself a long pep talk before his cashew challenge. He never ceases to amaze me with his excitement and cheerfulness at any time no matter the circumstances. He totally gave the nurse an "I'm great!" after gagging and throwing up the last cashew of the day. She said he made her day. He does that...it's kind of his thing. We had receptionists, a handful of nurses and patients in the waiting room checking in on him and that wasn't the norm. I'm sure he felt like a little rock star today...and he was, but I'm a little ahead of myself though...let's start from the beginning...

Perry was the first to rise this morning, per usual, and came into our room with a "Guess what, mommyyyyyy? Today is cashewwwww challenge daaaaaaay!" We talked a little bit again about what it means, when we'd have to leave, the fact that he couldn't eat breakfast, how long he could play Star Wars for, etc. and he proceeded to give his body a little talking to. I lost most of the speech as he was walking around, but he wrapped up by saying, "Body, you're going to eat the cashews and you're going to love them!"

I was pretty anxious to get there and get started so we arrived at the doctor's office a bit early. I was a little worried because I knew we'd be there for a few hours, so Perry and I made some phone calls together before going inside. We arrived, signed in and everyone else in the office got to hear my little motivational speaker tell them how he was going to "love cashews" and "not be allergic anymore" and not just because he told each person but because he is really loud (he really is).

Ready to start the challenge

We were quickly called back and talked with our doctor a little bit about how the day would go and she divided the cashews into doses; each dose containing more cashews than the last. Perry's first dose was half of a cashew. Now, Perry is a very picky kid so I was worried as to how he was going to eat 20 cashews, but the excitement of the day and the hunger in his stomach was enough and he happily gobbled it down. Then we waited 15 min until the next dose. He did okay with the next few doses, but the doses became monotonous and he started his usual stall tactics when eating things he does not want to eat.
"But wait, I'm going to count to...ummm...10, no 5 and then I'll eat it and chew it up. And wait, I will
drink some water with it. How many do I have to eat again?"
So, I resorted to race chewing against Perry to eat cashews. It wasn't so bad. I was hungry too, after all and I do love cashews...but then, a hive came.

It was little, but a hive is a hive and I was scared it was all going to unravel on us. Doctor took a look and decided to wait 15 more minutes and repeat the last dose (4 cashews). The hive quickly cleared and we went in for the next 4 cashews. The stalling was ridiculous and he gagged a little, but he managed to choke them down. A few more hives appeared, but no redness in the mouth and he was feeling fine, so we proceeded to the last 8 cashews!

He wanted each cashew broken in half (ugh! Kill me), but he managed to get all but the last one down. I said, "1 left, Perry. You're doing so great! You can totally eat this one whole, I know it!" We'll, I was so wrong. It totally pushed him over the edge and he puked it all up! Noooooooooooooooo! Perry was so worried he'd have to eat more cashews. I felt so bad for him. Our doctor came in and checked his throat and tongue for swelling and hives and he was clear, so she said we just need to wait one more hour and then we were in the clear.

Time's up! Suck it, cashews!

I was starting to feel the stress. I was hungry and ready to go home. I can only imagine how my 5 year old who was forced to eat 1/4 cup of cashews felt. I was proud and sad and tired. I looked around the waiting room and was so burdened by what I saw - kids being diagnosed with huge, itchy hives on their forearms, 18 month olds doing food challenges, a boy whose face was swollen by some reaction. There was a family there who broke out some snacks and vending machine drinks (and were politely and urgently told to take it outside)...I knew they were new to the world of food allergies. I was sad for them...and I wanted their snacks...

60 minutes later, hive free and reaction free, Perry totally showed those cashews who's boss and I couldn't be prouder of how well he handled himself today. He is officially cashew nut allergy free! We will add cashews to his bi-weekly nut mix and he should never have to worry about this allergy again! I teared up, held my baby tight and ran (literally) to lunch!

Peanuts, you're going down next! April 18th!

2 comments:

  1. I am anxiously waiting the news! So exciting to see what happens. Please keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! I am so incredibly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete