perry

perry
my little allergic peanut

Monday, May 6, 2013

Peanuts are lame...

It was the day we were waiting for...peanut challenge day!!! Perry awoke with a smile and an "it's peanut challenge daaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" and I was optimistic as well, but that "what if's" we're ever present in my mind.

We knew this was a risky food challenge. Perry was positive for the ara h2 protein (the protein responsible for anaphylaxis - 0.5 out of 100), but because his overall numbers came down our allergist didn't think a challenge was out of the question. My husband and I talked it over and decided since Perry was entering kindergarten, we should know what we're looking at and how to prepare teachers and other staff that will be caring for him should he fail the food challenge.

My husband took Perry to this challenge because I think Perry could sense my fear and I didn't want him to be scared, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I packed him up for the terrifying possibilities and watched them drive off and went straight to the gym to work off the anxiety.

Perry took the first dose just fine! Hooray!  The allergy office used the "smidge" "dash" measuring spoons to measure out the peanut butter, so I am only estimating on the amount of peanut butter given to Perry. Husband said he was totally fine after the first dose, about 1/32 of a teaspoon we're guessing. Perry told me he did not like how it tasted which I hear is pretty common for kids who pass OIT or outgrow their peanut allergies. How funny! Even the taste buds think peanut butter is lame!

After the 2nd dose, which we estimate at 1/16 of a teaspoon, Perry started complaining of stomach cramps. My husband is sure it's because Perry is hungry (they don't like the kids to eat before food challenges) and doesn't realize he is experiencing a sign of anaphylactic shock. He asks the nurse if Perry can have some plain crackers and they agree. As a precaution, they stop the test to keep an eye on Perry before they repeat the last dose instead of moving to the next dose. 45 minutes later, Perry complains that his throat hurts (I would be freaking at this point) and he vomits. Benadryl to the rescue and the test is over almost as quickly as it begun.

So, we're bummed - peanuts are still lame, but we do have the best information we can have at this point to move forward. Our allergist wants to retest Perry in 2 years and is still optimistic that he may outgrow these allergies because his overall numbers are still falling. We are going to continue to hope that our doctor, or a local doctor will start providing in-office OIT and we will be there knocking on that door.


No comments:

Post a Comment